Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book 1: The Coming of Arthur

Tintagel
  My name is King Arthur, and I was born to Uther Pendragon and Igraine.  Uther made war with a Duke, who was the husband of Igraine.  The Duke fled to a castle at Terrabil.  Merlin the wise wizard told Uther that he would marry Igraine and they would have a son, but the son must be given to Merlin to raise.  Uther agreed, and he killed the Duke and married Igraine.  Two years later, Uther fell sick.  Merlin summoned all the lords and asked the King if his son Arthur should reign after his death.  Before he died, Uther gave me his blessing.  I went to live with Merlin and no one knew who I was.
   

The Sword in the Stone
Great misery surrounded Britain.  One year on New Year's Day, they held a contest to see who could pull a sword out of a stone.  The stone said that whoever could pull the sword out would become King of all Britain.  No one in the kingdom could pull out the stone.  Sir Kay, who I was a squire to, forgot his sword and I went back to the inn to get it, but the inn was locked.  I saw a sword in a stone and I pulled it out for him to use.  Sir Kay tried to say that he pulled out the sword, but the priest came to see if this was true, and Sir Kay admitted that I had done it.  I was knighted and crowned to be King of all Britain.  Many people were happy, but the lords did not approve of a 15 year old boy being their king.


The Black Knight
One day I went for a ride, and I stumbled upon three thieves robbing Merlin.  The instant I came in, they fled.  Merlin and I continued to ride and we saw a knight dressed in black who would not let us pass.  The black knight defeated me but before he could slay me, Merlin cast a spell to put the Knight to sleep.   Now of course I was very angry with Merlin for not letting the knight have a fair fight.  Merlin explained that the Knight was Pellinore who, as Merlin predicted, would help me later in life and would tell me the name of my real sister.




We came to a lake, and we saw an arm coming out of the water holding a sword.  A boat with the Lady of the Lake was coming across the water and came to shore.  I asked her for the sword, and she said she would give me the sword as long as I gave her a gift when she came to receive it.  I agreed, and took the sword from the arm which receded into the water.  The Lady of the Lake disappeared.  The sword was named Excalibur.
The Lady of the Lake and Excalibur

Guinevere
I loved Queen Guinevere because she was the best lady in the land.  Merlin warned me that she would cause war between me and the best knight of my round table, but I couldn't resist her.  At our wedding, Merlin presented the Round Table - which had spots for 150 knights.  Merlin said the names of the Knights of the Round Table would live forever.  The table was round so that no one complained that I was seated higher than anyone else.  During our wedding, a white hart, a brachet, and a pack of hounds came running through the hall followed by a lady on a white horse.  Another knight came and took the lady away with him, who was lady Nimue.  I sent Gawain to bring back the white hart, Sir Tor to bring back the brachet, and King Pellinore to bring back the damsel.  All the knights returned successful but they all had put shame on themselves.





Merlin
Merlin told me that he had to take his long sleep but warned me first that an evil lady would steal my sword and scabbard.  I will miss his wisdom.

While hunting, my men and I discovered a strange ship and boarded it.  When we awoke the next morning, we were in a prison cell.  The only way to get out was to fight another knight that I did not know.  During the battle, I realized that the other knight had Excalibur and my scabbard.  When I got my sword back, the other knight told me who he was and I realized that he was one of my own knights from Camelot.  I gave him mercy and realized that Morgana le Fay had swapped the blades.  While I was recovering, Morgana le Fay stole my sword and scabbard and ran away.  We chased her but when she realized she was trapped she threw them into a deep lake.  We searched but couldn't find them because it sank.  I was very angry with her.  She tried to trick me again but it didn't work.  After this, Morgana never dared to enter the kingdom again.

Morgana le Fay




5 comments:

  1. Arthur, I am sorry that I put the Black Knight to sleep but I had to or else you would have been slain! And besides, he WILL help you in the future!

    -Merlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur, you owe me a gift! Don't forget. - Lady of the Lake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arthur, WHO put me to sleep???? - Pellinore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without your sword you are nothing! - Morgana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Arthur, thank you so much for the wedding, we are going to have a wonderful life together! - Love, Guinevere

    ReplyDelete